We’re looking for a talented journalist with a keen interest in science and technology and the ability to generate compelling story ideas to lead our science and technology coverage. Reporting to the Section Editor, Energy, Environment, Science + Technology, the role requires a creative thinker who can commission articles from academics and researchers. The ideal applicant will be a well-read news junkie who has a network of contacts in the science community and stays up to date with the latest research. She or he will also be a clever and creative self-starter who has a flair for online production, headline-writing and copy-editing. The ability to find new ways to tell stories and rewrite complicated copy is a must. The ideal applicant will have a knack for presenting sophisticated ideas to curious readers who are not experts in the field.
We'd love you to have:
- Experience in print and/or online media
- A passion for science and technology
- Developed sub-editing skills
- A flair for headline writing
- Social media skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Creativity, the ability to think laterally to generate innovative story ideas
- An understanding of, and commitment to, The Conversation's aim of contributing to the quality of public debate
Our team is passionate and focused on making The Conversation a leading media site. Our workplace, just outside Melbourne’s CBD is highly professional and deadline-driven, as well as fun and friendly.