Our team is passionate and focused on making The Conversation a leading media site. Our workplace, just outside Melbourne’s CBD is highly professional, deadline-driven and fun.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Finance Manager is expected to work independently to provide sound financial management of the business.
Other relationships include: Executive Team, Editor, Development Director, Resource Officers, Board Chairman/Finance Committee, funding partners and service providers, including external auditor.
Salary: $70,000 - $90,000 p.a. plus 9% superannuation depending on experience.
Flexible working arrangements - will consider part-time appointment.
- Maintain financial records and prepare monthly and ad hoc financial reports;
- Report monthly to the Executive Team and Board finance committee;
- Oversee bank accounts and maintain records in online accounting system Saasu for a clear audit trail;
- Lead budgeting, planning and forecasting and ensure proper controls and monitoring are in place;
- Prepare annual budget with the General Manager and senior colleagues and present it to the Finance Committee and Board for approval;
- Manage staff records and process payroll;
- Oversee superannuation and salary packaging;
- Ensure best practice, integrity and compliance with audit requirements;
- Oversee all corporate tax matters and reporting, drawing upon external advice as required;
- Prepare end-of-year accounts and annual report for ASIC; and
- Prepare tax statements for donors.
- Generate monthly and ad hoc non-financial reports (e.g. project plan); and
- Liaise with external vendors to ensure smooth business operation.
Basic qualifications and skills
- Tertiary qualified and/or relevant experience in an administrative or related position;
- Strong accounting knowledge;
- High level of competency, accuracy and thoroughness in dealing with figures;
- Systematic and logical problem-solver;
- Demonstrated ability to develop standard procedures, comprehensive systems and streamlined workflows;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex information to colleagues and to teach standard procedures;
- Competence and confidence in using computer applications, including word-processing, spreadsheets, online databases and accounting software (Knowledge of Saasu is a plus); and
- Ability to extract relevant data from financial systems.
- International operations, licensing or funding partners;
- Not-for-profit, DGR or university;
- Media or software development; and
- Interest in media and news.